Teaching the essentials of dataviz and infographic storytelling
Find my upcoming
ABOUT THE WORKSHOP
I enjoy sharing my work in events and meetups focused on dataviz. I also provide an introduction to data visualization’s potential as a storytelling medium as well as the principles behind constructing an effective visual display of information – from data collection to compelling visual outcomes.
ABOUT THE WORKSHOPS
Learn about data driven storytelling
My introductory masterclass combines theoretical instruction with exercises in sketching and storyboarding. The workshop provides hands-on perspective regarding the decision-making processes which go into the creation of effective data-driven narratives.
The content is delivered through a mix of teaching, discussions and group practices. Attendees with work independently and in groups.
Topics covered on the day include:
- The history and principles of data visualisation
- Visual perception theory in practice
- An effective visual display of information
- Colour theory and usage
- Charting conventions
- Visual and interactive storytelling
- Primary considerations: audience, purpose, medium
- An overview of digital tools
The workshops are designed for a mix of professions and individual interests. Many participants are seeking to become more confident in processing data and generate more creative visual narratives.
Participants will come away with an understanding of:
- The why and how we visualise data
- How to read visual displays of information and evaluate the effectiveness of communication
- Different types of data and methods for how to organise and understand it
- How to identify the best-fit solutions for data visualisation for different types of communications
- A vocabulary of terms to bring into their workflow
National Digital Design Conference [ND2C], Islamabad
D&AD Conference, London
School of Public Health, London
Irish Design Year, Dublin
Data4Change , Beirut
Graphic Hunters, Utrecht
The Guardian Masterclasses, London
London College of Communication, London
Southbank University, London
I have delivered training for public and private organisations. Some of my clients include Google, Pfizer and the UN ILO and I have been a visiting lecturer at the London College of Communication, Ravensbourne and Southbank University.
I started working with Valentina a few years ago. She was actually the first trainer to run a workshop on behalf of Graphic Hunters. She is a really talented designer and shares her passion about dataviz in an enthusiastic way. Her training is a nice mix of theory and practice. Participants work alone or in groups on several assignments, to get a thorough understanding of storytelling with data.
Goof van de Winkel, founder Graphic Hunters